SYLVIA KENT'S READING & WRITING FORUM

A history and lifestyle journal www.swwj.co.uk

Saturday, August 01, 2015

BATTLE OF BRITAIN AND FIRST LIGHT by Geoffrey Wellum DFC


One of the first books I read (and reviewed) when I joined Billericay Readers' Group in 2000 was Geoffrey Wellum's FIRST LIGHT and I loved it.  Tonight I am viewing  the film on BBC 2 created from the Squadron Leader's manuscript and am enjoying his story once again.  Beautiful writing but poignant. What an amazing life he's led and so very brave, yet so young at the time  - just 18 when he joined the RAF. Our hero will be 94 on 4 August - so Happy Birthday, Sir.  I feel the film is honest and it was wonderful hearing his voice-over against such moving background music.

Geoffrey Wellum

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home