SYLVIA KENT'S READING & WRITING FORUM

A history and lifestyle journal www.swwj.co.uk

Saturday, April 21, 2018

A SECOND POSTING LINKED TO FLYING FROM IMPERIAL WAR MUSEUM, DUXFORD

BATTLE OF BRITAIN AND FIRST LIGHT by Geoffrey Wellum DFC

One of the first books I read (and reviewed) when I joined Billericay Readers' Group in 2000 was Geoffrey Wellum's FIRST LIGHT and I loved it.  Last night on BBC TV The One Show, the spotlight was on the four remaining wonderful members of 'The Few' and I will be reading Wellum's book once again. This is a superb, beautifully written masterpiece and so very poignant relating to the Squadron Leader's manuscript of that dangerous period in history.   What an amazing life Wellum has led who was just 18 when he joined the Royal Air Force and took to the skies.  Our hero will be 97 on 4 August and I hope to have a chance of meeting him if possible.
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home