SYLVIA KENT'S READING & WRITING FORUM

A history and lifestyle journal www.swwj.co.uk

Wednesday, May 02, 2018

A TASTE OF MAY DAY IN BRITAIN - FOLKLORE OF ESSEX

Our famous Mayflower Morrismen from Billericay
May Day in Britain is a rather special time.  Across the county of Essex we have numerous events linked to our old customs and traditions which happen during May. Many of them are factually linked to local history, others to myth and legend, but all - to my mind - so very interesting. Collecting the stories was time-consuming, going out into the field, so to speak, to research them, but I enjoyed meeting so many fascinating people who now reside in the pages of this first edition of my book published by Tempus Publishing Limited. I was a member of the Folklore Society in London for years and appreciate the help their members gave me.  Nowadays, the second version of the book can be found under The History Press imprint, available in all good bookshops and via Amazon.  I will be outlining some of the special Essex events, along with images, in the upcoming months.  


First cover of my
 folklore  book

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home